Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Garden past and present

What gives you a little bit of peace in your day? For me gardening and doing yard work along with some other things gives me a bit of peace. I have be gardening for a couple years now and each year I learn something new. Whatever I learned/learn about gardening comes from books,YouTube, searching the web and trial and error. Each year I get a little bit better and a little more brave.


Last spring/summer I had one of my best seasons. I planted carrots, bell pepper, basil,parsley, and lettuce. I used seeds for all of them this time around. The bell pepper plant was a gift from my grandma and it came with 3 pots and seeds. After the bell peppers grow I planted them into the ground outside. This was something new I tried as I have only planted in containers. Three plants produced 4 bell peppers. Since I started late in the season that was all the plants produced. I did have problems with spiders so I sprayed the plants with Epsom salt and water. I also cut some cardboard and wrapped it around the base of the plant so that the spiders couldn't climb up.

The basil and parsley also grow well but the parsley ended up dying. A carrot did end up growing but it was later in the season and there was only one. I still have had no success with lettuce so did is one that I want to master. In the pass successes I planted hot pepers and tomatos And it worked out great.

This season I plan on planting squash,cucumbers, hot pepers, and carrots all in containers this time around. I want to try vertical gardening for the squash and cucumbers but we will see. If any one has tips for growing lettuce,squash,, or cucumbers i'll love to hear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment